Sunday 10 June 2012

Malaysian style curry

 Malaysian style chicken curry is a dish I cook frequently.

Start by peeling and finely chopping garlic and ginger, about a tablespoon combined. Then peel and slice an onion..

I had fresh galangal root{lengkwas} from our local chinese supermarket. A small amount peeled and finely chopped adds a lovely scent and flavour.




I love the aroma of fresh lemongrass too.Its so good that its readily available in supermarkets now.Chop off the bottom and chop them off so you only have the white and pale green part.About two stalks are plenty.Remove the outer layer which may be slightly brown .Then crush to release the flavour.A heavy glass jar works well!

I use boneless chicken thighs.,one to two packs .
chop into 4 to 6 pieces dependent on size.Using a large pan.Heat oil and fry garlic,ginger,onion,lemongrass and galangal until fragrant.then add chicken pieces and fry until browning.Add your favourite curry powder .I really like Babas as pictured below. I use the whole pack but add to your own taste.

 Fry until fragrant then add water to cover the chicken pieces.Bring back to simmmer and cover.You can add potatoes peeled and chopped and tomatoes.


I then add santan.I use cholestrol free,about a third of a pack. Leave to cook until chicken and potatoes are done.

I like to add some fresh coriander about five minutes before serving.
The curry can be served on its own with freshly cooked rice as below or as one dish with a chinese meal.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment