Wednesday 20 February 2013

52 books 14

14. Daddy-long-legs  by Jean Webster

I rediscovered this book first published in 1912, whilst clearing my fathers house. I remembered reading it in my childhood so decided to read it again. The theme of the rich, older dominant male figure and the young innocent girl, (fifty shades of grey) in this case an orphan doesn't seem to have changed much over the years, though this was written in a much more innocent age.The subjugation of women also seems to be a recurring theme (miss chopsticks and fifty shades) . I enjoyed the fact that this is written entirely in the form of letters from Judy to her unknown benefactor, and the liberally scattered literary references throughout the book. As a piece of social history it was also fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment