Wednesday 31 July 2013

Hidden history: Smyth family memories

Alphabet fun

As a child my Grandpa taught me this alphabet which I've never forgotten. It was performed by comic duo Claphm and Dwyer in the 1930's  and various alternative versions exist.

A for orses [Hay for horses]
B for mutton [Beef or mutton]
C for[th] highlanders [Seaforth highlanders] C for miles{see for miles}
D for ential [differential] D for Kate { defecate}
E for Adam [ Eve or Adam]
F for vescent [ Effervescent ]
G for police [Chief of police]
H for consent [Age of consent]
I for Novello [Ivan Novello] Actor
J for oranges [Jaffa oranges]
K for Francis[ Kay Francis] Actress
L for leather Hell for leather
M for sis [emphasis]
N for dig[ infra dig]
O for the garden wall [ over the garden wall]
P for relief [Pee for relief] P for a whistle {pea for a whistle}
Q for the bus[queue for the bus] Q for billiards {cue for billiards}
R for Mo [half a mo]
S for you [Its for you]
T for two[ tea for two]
U for me [you for me]
V for France [Vive la France]
W for money [double your money]
X for breakfast [eggs for breakfast]
Y for husband [wife or husband]
Z for breezes [Zephyr breezes]

He also taught me how to say the alphabet backwards very quickly!

ZYX  WV  
UTS  RQP
ONM LKJ
IHG FED CBA

No comments:

Post a Comment