Tuesday 6 August 2013

52 books 33

The intimate adventures of a London call girl by Belle de jour

Having fallen off a bicycle and injured my shoulder I wanted a light read and found this on my daughter's bookshelf. I read it in a day. Very easy to read.I like the bloggers style and the lists.
Reviews on Amazon were very mixed. People either loved or hated it. Sexually explicit but not erotic, it was an interesting insight into her life as a prostitute . I liked the way she alternated encounters with clients with her relationships in real life. Far from glamorizing prostitution, to me it emphasized the sordid nature of the sex trade and her difficulties in sustaining relationships in her non working life. The abusive relationship was harrowing  and disturbing. I agree with the reviewers who felt her view of life and sex was very masculine. It was interesting that all her friends were male too and ex lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment